IPSFC holds off JASA RWC to advance in US Open Cup (3-2)

Nov. 20, 2018

For the second time in as many months, a UPSL Wild West Division squad made the trip up to Portland, Oregon for a US Open Cup qualifying match.

In October, International Portland Select FC (ISPFC) held off Nevada Coyotes FC 5-4 and, with a little luck of the draw, were picked to host JASA RWC in Round Three. JASA RWC, a winner of their previous qualifier as well, and top of their UPSL Wild West South Division, brought their good form and all-black kits to Buckman Field for a 7:00 PM kickoff on Sunday, November 18th.

It had been clear all day, and at the time of kickoff the crisp, fall Portland evening had dipped to just around 47 degrees. IPS, playing from west-to-east, came out in their red shirts and white shorts, in what appeared to be a 4-4-2 placing Nathaniel Pogue and Alcides “Paco” Thomas up top. Dangermen Prince Saydee and Eric Hernandez were on their respective wings for the Portland side. For JASA, goalscorers Ryan Masch and Ugo Uche, who had combined for 6 scores in two previous US Open Cup matches, were joined on the pitch by James Huffer (scorer of the 87th minute sealer in the previous round).

Within minutes, JASA had earned a corner, but it was cleared and IPS nearly scored on an effort by Nathaniel Pogue. Early on, IPS was pushing on in the attack and creating multiple chances — Paco Thomas was playing with some bravado until he collided with JASA’s goalkeeper, earning a yellow card for his efforts. JASA seemed to shift to a higher line of encounter and began to turn the screw — by the midway point of the first half, the match had become a back-and-forth battle.

IPS had earned themselves several corner kicks and JASA had found ways to clear them, but in the 34th minute, the visitors from Redwood City were unable to clear it far enough and Joaquim Capuia smashed a low drive from just outside the 18-yard box and beat the keeper to his right. Down a goal, with just over 10 minutes in the half, JASA pushed on and nearly had a great opportunity in the 43rd when Uche finally got free on a great run — however, he was called to be in an offside position and IPS were given possession. Due to quite a few stoppages, there were nearly 5 minutes in time added on; IPS nearly took advantage of that in the 47th with a flurry of shots on goal, but JASA’s keeper, Victory Meraz, and his backline were able to withstand the pressure and go into the half only down by one.

The sides switched directions and the second half action picked up right away; Eric Hernandez went from being a threat down the left-hand side to being entirely too much to handle for JASA. After a few hard challenges along the sideline in previous spells, Hernandez broke in to the box and slowed down just enough to draw a hard bit of contact and the penalty was given. He was able to take the spot-kick himself and put his side up 2-0 in the 50th minute. JASA seemed to lose the plot and just a minute later, Saydee provided a pass to Paco Thomas, who slotted it home with a low shot to the keeper’s left… IPSFC were cruising 3-0 in only the 52nd minute.

IPS continued to push for an increased advantage, and once again there was a collision with the JASA goalie, Meraz. This time he stayed down just a little bit longer. While he eventually got up, JASA made a change and brought on Vazquez-Flores for Angell and what seemed like moments later, in the 58th, JASA put together a wild play resulting in a laser-header for James Huffer to pull one back. Play continued in see-saw fashion until the 67th minute, when Ugo Uche broke free on the left side again, but this time his service was finished and Huffer earned his brace, helping the visitors cut the lead to just one goal with less than a half-hour to go. If it was chippy before, it certainly picked up for the last stanza of the game.

JASA's captain, Ivan Maric, earned his yellow; IPS goal scorer Eric Hernandez received one as well. After a series of substitutions, it seemed that either JASA was reluctant to use their last sub or they might have been out of them, but they were reduced to 10 players for a few minutes while Huffer recovered from a cramp on the sideline. IPS nearly struck again with a free kick from Thomas that sizzled past the goal frame. Pogue was then issued a yellow after a full-blooded collision with a JASA defender and on the ensuing play, JASA nearly squared it up. Once the match was called, all of the in-match frustrations disappeared and both sides reacted respectfully to see each other off the pitch.

JASA RWC are currently at the top of their table in the UPSL Wild West South and will host the Oakland Stompers on Saturday, November 24th for the division title. IPSFC finished their OPSL season in second place and will play a playoff match on November 27th at Buckman Field. It looks as though IPS will have to wait to see their fate in the US Open Cup, as not all of the 3rd Round Qualifiers have been completed and a possibility exists that changes to the qualifying process may have to be implemented to allow for changes to the number of professional teams entering in the First Round. The deadline for professional teams to enter the Open Cup is December 31st and until the total number of teams is determined, there is no solid answer on the situation surrounding the amateur sides.

- Josh Duder, Protagonist Soccer

Photos by Ben McFarland